QA Analyst at Defiant
Defiant provides WordPress security services.
Full time salary of $95,000 to $110,000, depending on experience.
We are currently hiring QA Analysts to:
- Test our eCommerce website and back-end systems.
- Test the Wordfence security plugin, deployed to over 4 million production WordPress websites.
- Test WordPress updates, and their compatibility with the websites that we maintain.
- Test other internal and external customer-facing web applications.
As a QA Analyst at Defiant you will be required to:
- Find new bugs in a web application, WordPress plugin or back-end application, or system.
- Discover the steps to reproduce a bug.
- Document the steps in a well-written bug report which you will file.
- Reproduce bugs reported by a customer or reported to you by our customer service team. This may require some research on your part, working with the CS team to understand what the customer reported, and finding out how to reproduce the issue.
- Verify fixes that have been implemented by the dev team and deployed to our staging environment. If you discover an issue, you'll assign the issue back to the dev team. If you verify the fix, you can mark it verified and move on, until the application or system is ready to be deployed to production.
Figuring Out What to Test and Testing Broadly
One of the skills that we value highly in great QA analysts is the ability to test broadly. What we mean by this is, rather than testing the minimum requirements when verifying a bug, we expect our analysts to come up with creative tests that may reveal problems in new code. This requires anticipating ways that a fix may affect other parts of an application or data.
Specific skills and activities that help with our approach of “testing broadly” are:
- Looking at the PHP code in a pull request, that a developer has implemented, to understand what changed, and get an idea of what else a code change may break, then testing those parts of a system.
- Using a SQL client to access the database that an application is interacting with and looking at the table structure and data. Understanding how a developer's code changes the data, and coming up with new tests, using this knowledge, that may reveal a bug.
- Looking at server error logs to determine if a test is failing silently, or creating output in the error log that may reveal a new area that can be tested to identify a bug.
The Required Skills for this role are:
- Experience working as a QA Analyst.
- Experience filing bugs and verifying fixes in a bug tracking system like Fogbugz.
- Experience verifying bugs in a testing or staging environment, and sending them back to dev with helpful feedback, or marking them as fixed.
- Experience testing PHP web applications.
- Familiarity with accessing a SQL database using a SQL client, and knowledge of basic SQL is required.
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub is required. You will be reviewing pull requests to gain a deeper understanding of what you are testing. You will not be expected to commit code.
- Experience with Linux command line, command line tools, and using SSH.
- Ability to read PHP code. Ability to write PHP is preferred.
- Experience with MySQL and using the MySQL client to interact with the database, or another SQL database client and server, at a minimum.
- Full time telecommuting and flexible working hours, with a company that has been 100% remote for over 8 years.
- 100% employee premium and 50% of dependent premium paid by company for premier- level medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 21 days PTO per year to start.
- 11 paid company holidays including the week from December 25 to January 1.
- 401(k) with a 4% Safe Harbor company match that is 100% vested immediately.
- Latest in laptop and workstation technology.
- Wellness reimbursement program for health and fitness purchases.
- Mobile phone and internet reimbursement up to $100 per month.
- Monthly beverage reimbursement for coffee, tea, water, etc.
- Paid training and study time for work-related training and certifications.
- College tuition and Student Loan reimbursement.
Also, check out: