Hi, we’re DuckDuckGo, the Internet privacy company for everyone who wants to take back their privacy now. For over a decade, we've been building our all-in-one product, developing new privacy technology, and working with policymakers to make online privacy simple and accessible for all.
Our app is now downloaded more than 78M times a year, and our private search engine packaged with it has become the #2 search engine on mobile in the United States and 18 other countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the Netherlands. Oh, and we've been profitable since 2014, with revenue exceeding $100 million a year! Now, we’re rolling out a suite of new privacy solutions, including Email Protection, App Tracking Protection and our first-ever Desktop Apps for Mac and Windows.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Windows Desktop App to help shape our all-in-one privacy solution and join our mission to show the world that protecting your privacy online can be simple.
In this role, you will work on the team responsible for launching our first ever DuckDuckGo Privacy App for Windows. You'll collaborate with Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers across Native Apps to craft a world-class browser with embedded privacy features that will revolutionize the way people search, surf, and exist online.
You will be critical to the successful launch of this product and responsible for taking pieces of the puzzle and autonomously building solutions to get us closer to our first release. You will help define the roadmap, take ownership of significant application features and experiment with ways to improve them.
You will lay the foundations of what will become one of DuckDuckGo's flagship products and critical levers for growing privacy online.
What You Will Bring to DuckDuckGo
- Experience implementing ideas from scratch, owning major application features, and taking responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Experience participating in technical architecture decisions for complex products, essentially shaping the software architecture of a consumer product.
- Experience building at least one desktop application (ideally with WPF, UWP, WinUI, WinForms, or other relevant .NET UI).
- An advanced level of programming expertise, with knowledge of C#. We currently use .NET 6.
- A significant level of experience in building customer facing applications, including crafting user interfaces.
- Deep understanding of software design patterns such as MVVM, MVP, etc.
- Event-driven programming (e.g., using Rx.NET) experience is considered an advantage.
How We Will Support You
Our core values — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — underpin how we work day-to-day and the support we give our team members. We strive to empower our team members to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work.
- Remote First, Always: We've always been a fully distributed company with team members all over the world. We trust you to get your work done wherever, whenever.
- Commitment to Personal Growth: Every team member has an annual budget of $1,250 USD to invest in their professional development. Every team member also has a dedicated Career Advisor, who serves as a guide to help you develop your strengths, identify your motivations, and understand your opportunities for growth.
- Leadership: We have many different types of leaders and possible combinations of leadership roles, so you can grow your career in a way that aligns best with your personal goals. You can seek additional leadership roles by being directly responsible for projects, taking ownership of areas of the company, developing and maintaining internal processes, or pursuing advisory roles.
- Work/Life Balance: Team members have the freedom and flexibility to organize their own work schedules. We want you to thrive both in and out of the office. We trust you to use good judgment and take the time off that you need to bring your best self to work.
Annual compensation: $176,000 USD and stock options. Compensation is the same within a professional level, regardless of geographic location or functional area, and the compensation for each professional level is transparent across the organization.