In this video, you will learn how to start a business while working a day job in 2017.
It's almost impossible to quit your job, start a business, and then succeed.
You have to usually grind while still having a day job first. Enjoy the video and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Here are a few tips for starting a business while still working a regular 9-5 job:
1. Look for businesses that can be passive or automated
If you have a job and are building a business, you definitely don't want to be doing anything that is high maintenance or time-consuming.
- If you decide affiliate marketing is the way you want to go, try Amazon Associates.
- An example of an effective way to create an affiliate marketing business is This Is Why I'm Broke.
- For more passive income business ideas, watch this video.
2. Set aside time every day to build the business (preferably before work hours)
You only have so much willpower to use each day. If you use all of it up and are tired when you get home from your job you won't want to work on your business afterwards.
- This article talks about why President Obama would wear only 2 different suit styles and do other things while in office to avoid decision fatigue.
- Another New York Times article explains decision fatigue in-depth with the studies to back it up.
3. Build on your competitive advantage
If you want your business to actually make progress and get somewhere as quickly as possible, you need to build it on your competitive advantage that your competitors don't have.
- This Entrepreneur article talks about some ways you can build on your competitive advantage.
- If you want to see what your competition is doing and learn from it, here are some great tools to use.
4. Test everything before wasting your time
One of the smartest things you can do with your business to avoid wasting your valuable time is test everything. Whether it is a book title, affiliate product, course, or anything else, test it before going all in.
- This post will show you some great ways brands have tested their content and advertising.
- I recommend Google Adwords for testing keywords, book titles, topics and many other things for your business.
- You may want to try Google Trends as well. It will help you find out what people are becoming more or less interested in.
5. Get good at either content marketing or paid ads
Content marketing is great if you want to build a natural, more loyal following without much cost. Paid ads are better if you want to get instant results and you are okay with spending more money.
- For paid ads, I recommend Facebook advertising. This resource created by Digital Marketer will help you know how to target your audience better.
- If you want to go the content marketing route instead, here's how to start a blog in 3 steps.
6. Get the best analytics
Analytics are crucial to your success because they tell you what works and what doesn't. Without them, you're taking shots in the dark hoping to get lucky.
- Google Analytics has always been one of the greatest business tools ever made. And it's free!
- YouTube Analytics is also very helpful for building a video channel.
7. Outsource and automate everything you can after perfecting your process
Your time is your most important asset. You can't make more of it like you can with money. Use software programs, freelancers, and other services to automate what you can as you build your business.