In this video, you will learn how to make work more fun at your business or job.
As someone who is always experimenting with all kinds of life hacks all the time, I've come up with some ways to make work more enjoyable which are backed by science.
Enjoy the video and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Here are a few ways to make work more fun that I've enjoyed and are proven to be effective:
1. Listen to instrumental music
While you may want to avoid music with lyrics, instrumental music, I've found, can make work quite a bit more enjoyable. While this may or may not be the case for you, I prefer more upbeat music.
- Here's an orchestra playlist that's full of instrumental remixes or famous rock songs.
- If you like slower, more relaxing music, this mix has 4 hours worth of it.
2. Chew gum
Not only does chewing gum improve your mood, it also improves alertness and brain function. I find that gum works best because consuming actual food while working typically leads to over-consumption of calories.
- This study shows what the effects of chewing gum are when it comes to things like mood, brain function, etc.
3. Make it a competition
Competition has been around for thousands of years in different forms. We love to compete and play games, so why not apply that to work? Usually you want to keep track of stats and have a prize to play for.
- This Harvard Business Review article discusses how you might apply competition in the workplace and how it improves results.
4. Use apps to make it like a video game
If you love video games, you can turn your work into one with a few apps. These apps allow you to level up yourself instead of a make-believe character on a screen.
- Life RPG is a free app that helps you turn your life into a fun game.
- Habitica is another app similar to Life RPG that allows you to level up in a game by being productive in real life.
5. Automate or delegate the things you hate doing
Sometimes you just need to stop doing things you hate doing to make you have a better outlook when it comes to working. If you do something repeatedly or a task is very tedious, outsource it. Another you can do is make a computer program automate it.
- AutoIT helps you create computer programs (bots) that allow you to automate tasks on your computer that you would usually do yourself.
- Fiverr allows you to delegate tasks to other by hiring them to do all kinds of tasks. Usually, it only costs $5 or $10 depending on the task.
6. Make your office decor better
Whether you have a cubical or an entire home office, you should do anything you can to make it a positive work environment. You could have your favorite quotes, family pictures, plants, etc. to boost your mood.
- This article will give you some inspiration for how you might design your work-space for more happiness and productivity.
7. Have pre-determined rewards for every small accomplishment
It's hard to motivate yourself to work when you don't feel like you get much out of it. You need to find ways to reward yourself instantly when you accomplish even a small goal that is productive.
- Remember the quote: “What gets rewarded gets repeated.”
- This post on Entrepreneur.com gives you a interesting comparison of the different approaches to rewarding yourself for productivity.
8. Allow for more fresh air, natural sunlight, and views
Believe it or not, working indoors, closed off from the outside world can be bad for your health and your mood. Fresh oxygen, sunlight, and a nice view can all make a big difference in your workday happiness.
- If you want to know what the actual benefits of sunlight are, read here.
- This article gives you an interesting take on the benefits of fresh air.